Quizmasters Lee and Marc are joined by Claire Liparulo and John Schiller of Southwest Florida’s The Freecoasters to ask, suss and answer a general knowledge quiz with topics including Comics N’ Crooners, Famous Lawsuits, Nature, World History, U.S. History, Band Name Origins, Sports Logos, Inventions, Candy, Math, Negro League Baseball, U.S. History, Medical Terminology, Fruit, Book Jargon, Technology, and more!
- COMICS N CROONERS - Which Saturday Night Live alum, who had his own sketch show in 1996, once was awaiting bypass surgery when Frank Sinatra died in the hospital room next door?
- FAMOUS LAWSUITS - In the case Sid and Marty Krofft Television Productions, Incorporated vs. McDonald's Corporation, McDonalds was sued by the brothers claiming the entire McDonaldland premise plagiarized what television show?
- NATURE - What historical figure is known as “the father of national parks”?
- BASEBALL - One of Major League Baseball’s famous wordsmiths was simultaneously the oldest person to make his major league debut and the oldest person to play in a league baseball game?
- WORLD HISTORY - Albania, Bulgaria, Czechoslovakia, East Germany, Hungary, Poland, and Romania were all members of what defense treaty, formed as a response to West Germany’s integration to NATO in 1955?
- FAMOUS DISASTERS - On May 6th, 1937, the German passenger ship LZ-129 Hindenburg caught fire and was destroyed during its attempt to dock with it’s mooring mast at Naval air station Lakehurst in what U.S. state?
- U.S. HISTORY - Amiri Baraka is widely-recognized as the founder of what movement of 1965 Harlem?
- BAND NAME ORIGINS - What short-lived (but influential) British band faced criticism over their Auschwitz-inspired band name as well as cover art from their 1978 debut EP album “An Ideal For Living” which depicted a Hitler Youth pounding a drum?
- SPORTS LOGOS - Who is depicted in the NBA logo?
- INVENTIONS - Used to measure foot size, in what city was the Brannock device invented?
- CANDY - What candy, whose name was meant to suggest a “hospitable, western company” was invented by Bill Harmsen in 1949 in Golden, CO?
- MATH - What mathematician, whose name means “renowned, glorious” in its original Greek, is often referred to as “the father of geometry” and the “author of the Elements”?
Rate My Question
- NEGRO LEAGUE BASEBALL - What Negro League slugger, called by some the Black Babe Ruth and whose life was cut short at age 35 by a brain tumor, is estimated to have hit over 800 home runs? - submitted by Proverbial Lightkeeper Matt
- U.S. HISTORY - One person, Robert Todd Lincoln, had the misfortune of being physically present or nearby when three American Presidents were assassinated. Which three? - submitted by Rumplesnailtskin Mike C.
- MEDICAL TERMINOLOGY - What is the medical term for the inner elbow?
- FRUIT - Most banana-flavored candy is based on what now-extinct cultivar of banana?
- BOOK JARGON - What is the term for a hardcover book that has been marked to be liquidated due to low sales?
- TECHNOLOGY - The TRS-80, one of the earliest mass-produced and mass-marketed home computers, was launched by what company?
Upcoming LIVE Know Nonsense Trivia Challenges
- August 13th, 2020 - Know Nonsense Trivia Challenge - Live on Twitch 8pm - 9pm EDT
You can find out more information about that and all of our live events online at KnowNonsenseTrivia.com All of the Know Nonsense events are free to play and you can win prizes after every round.
Thanks to our supporters on Patreon.
- Thank you, Quizdaddies – Dylan, Tommy (The Electric Mud) and Tim (Pat's Garden Service)
- Thank you, Team Captains – Gil, David, Rachael, Aaron, Kristen & Fletcher
- Thank you, Proverbial Lightkeepers – Jenny, Logan, Spencer, Kaitlynn, Manu, Mo, Matthew, Nicole, Luc, Hank, Justin, Cooper, Elyse, Sarah, Karly, Kristopher, Josh, Shaun, Lucas and Max
- Thank you, Rumplesnailtskins – Tiffany, Allison, Paige, We Do Stuff, Mike S. ,Kenya, Jeff, Eric, Steven, Efren, Mike J., Mike C.
If you'd like to support the podcast and gain access to bonus content, please visit http://theknowno.com and click "Support."
Episode header photo of The Freecoasters by Jesi Cason Photography.
- Know Nonsense Trivia Podcast — Join us on our Facebook group!
- knownonsensetrivia - Twitch — Play Know Nonsense Trivia on Thursdays at 8pm EST!
- Weekly Nice Guy's Virtual Trivia — Play Virtual Nice Guys Pizza trivia with Marc (8/12)!
- The Freecoasters – Reggae and Soul — Visit The Freecoasters website for all things Freecoasters!
- The Freecoasters - Home — Follow The Freecoasters on Facebook!
- A Different Kind of Heat | The Freecoasters — Pre-order the new Freecoasters record and hear it early!
- The Dana Carvey Show: Skinheads From Maine - YouTube — Dana Carvey and Stephen Colbert from the former's sketch show.
- Too Funny To Fail: Trailer (Official) • A Hulu Original Documentary - YouTube — A documentary recommendation by Marc
- John Muir’s Racist Views ‘Hurt and Alienate,’ Sierra Club Says - The New York Times
- Claire Liparulo | God’s Cathedral | SQ 5 - YouTube — A song Claire wrote dedicated to John Muir's preservation philosophy.
- Satchel Paige Quotes — Quotes by MLB's wordsmith mentioned in John's round one baseball question.
- The James Jordan murder -- Chicago Tribune — A look back at the James Jordan murder.
- That David Bowie 'Nazi Salute' And Eric Clapton's 'Wogs' Created Rock Against Racism - Flashbak — DAVID BOWIE: Rock stars are fascists. Adolf Hitler was one of the first rock stars. John mentions this excerpt from a Playboy interview with David Bowie during Lee's Round Two Band Name Origins question.
- Michael Buble Doesn't Know How to Eat Corn on the Cob, So the Internet Had to Photoshop Him - E! Online — A picture of Michael Buble eating a corn cob like a banana.